Liberty Strategies is a consulting firm headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. The firm was founded in 2004 by former Georgia Congressman Bob Barr, who served in the House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003. The firm maintains relationships with several individuals and outside firms with which it has worked, and which are well-known to Congressman Barr. Liberty Strategies partners with these individuals and firms as necessary to meet the needs of the firm’s clients. This provides the firm significantly expanded capabilities even as it helps reduce the cost to clients.
Liberty Strategies provides customized services tailored to the needs of its clients in key areas that are relevant to the current business and political climate in Washington, D.C., in individual states, and internationally.
Liberty Strategies maintains strong, productive and personal relationships with key Members of Congress and the Senate – and their senior staffs – on both sides of the political aisle. This is an especially important asset in view of the continued closeness of national, Senate and congressional elections; something likely to remain a hallmark of politics in the United States for the foreseeable future. Liberty Strategies is also a registered contractor with the federal government.
Media contacts, access and experience are important assets of Liberty Strategies and its principals. Bob Barr remains a sought-after commentator for radio, television and print media on matters relating to privacy, law, national security, and many other public policy topics. He has appeared on virtually every major cable program dealing with public policy matters and current affairs. His columns have appeared in major newspapers from New York to California, from Washington, D.C. to Atlanta, and abroad. Bob Barr also is in demand as a public speaker, appearing regularly at law schools, universities, public policy forums, and business meetings.
Liberty Strategies is able to draw on the credibility that derives from such work, to greatly enhance its value to clients. Liberty Strategies also has a full-time media expert to manage both the firm’s media and public relations needs; enabling the firm to assist with such aspects of the firms client’s media and public relations requirements.
A key focus of the firm is privacy and information security policy. This reflects in large measure the strong background in this area possessed by Congressman Barr, as well as the importance of privacy measures and policies which companies, governments and other entities must employ in the technology- and information-rich 21st Century.
Liberty Strategies focuses on specific policy areas where it has extensive contacts and particularized expertise. Those areas include legal policy, privacy and information security policy, and international affairs. Liberty Strategies’ client base ranges from small defense-related companies to major public technology companies.
Liberty Strategies works with its clients’ personnel to shape and solve policies addressing actual and potential problems. That assistance might run the full gamut from direct lobbying, to public relations, to community and interest groups mobilization. When Liberty Strategies identifies areas in which deliverables are needed, the firm’s focus shifts to making things happen, including publishing on specific topics, contacts on and off Capitol Hill, building coalitions on behalf of specific policies and products, serving as a bridge to private sector organizations, and more.
Liberty Strategies also assists clients is in addressing the best way to interface with other entities concerned with privacy and other policies, in order to acquaint them as appropriate with clients’ activities so as to avoid, neutralize or minimize opposition or adverse action.
In terms of specific deliverables, the capabilities of Liberty Strategies include the following:
• Messaging. Liberty Strategies will review a client’s existing messaging and marketing collateral materials and offer advice to refine them to offer maximum appeal to opinion leaders and activists.
• Business Development. Liberty Strategies recognizes the bottom line for many of its clients is business development – and business retention. The firm works with clients to identify and develop markets; as well as to identify actual and potential problems, and then propose and implement solutions thereto.
• Research. Liberty Strategies might work with an established academic or think-tank institution to develop a policy analysis paper or papers addressing specific, geographic policy or political problems identified by a client. The firm is also able to work with a client’s personnel to roll studies out in an organized fashion that generate earned media.
• Coalition Building. Liberty Strategies also might develop and execute a coalition-building strategy that broadens support for a particular policy or initiative.
• Email. Liberty Strategies frequently recommends considering use of a targeted e-mail campaign or campaigns to drive additional traffic to a site; or to expand the reach of a campaign geographically. This represents a particularly effective way to target appeals, and is a very cost-effective way to conduct direct marketing campaign with limited funds.
• Regional Media Events. If desired, Liberty Strategies will set up, promote, and staff regional media events in key target areas, designed to leverage the above tactics for impact in specific geographic areas.
• Direct Lobbying. Liberty Strategies engages in direct lobbying as necessary and appropriate.
This summary is, of course, designed to provide a rough overview of the capabilities Liberty Strategies brings to the table, and is always ready to develop a more comprehensive and detailed proposal.
Insofar as Liberty Strategies principals have worked overseas and within several agencies of the federal government, the firm maintains extensive contacts in the diplomatic community. The firm’s principals enjoy strong personal and professional contacts with foreign missions in the U.S. (especially Europe, Latin America and the Middle East; and including specifically, Canada, Colombia, and Saudi Arabia), as well as in the governments and military establishments in those countries.
Depending on the particular projects it undertakes, the firm is able to broaden this network by bringing in consultants who are able quickly to connect on a particular substantive or geographic area. This allows Liberty Strategies to build teams on a project-by-project basis, and minimizes the time and expense for its clients. Liberty Strategies fully recognizes the opportunities afforded by the global marketplace, and utilizes a broad network of contacts worldwide to help locate, secure and expand business virtually anywhere in the world.
Liberty Strategies Partnerships
Liberty Strategies partners with individuals and companies as necessary to provide customized, top-tier expertise for its clients. The firm partner only with those persons and organizations with a proven record of integrity and expertise at the level required for its own personnel. The list of partners includes former Members of Congress of both political parties; former high-level executive branch officials from Republican and Democrat administrations; highly reputable public relations and trouble-shooting firms in Washington, D.C. and Atlanta, Georgia; attorneys with particularized expertise in key regulatory areas; and former and current state-level legislators and executive officials.
James Dunn has a bachelor's Degree in Economics and a Juris Doctorate Degree in Law. He was admitted to the State of Georgia Bar in 1979 and has specialized in the practice of Immigration Law since 1986. He has been a member of the Atlanta Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyer's Association since 1987 and has served on the Atlanta Liaison Committee meeting monthly with the Atlanta CIS District Director. Mr. Dunn practices specifically in the areas of family and business based immigration. He does not work in deportation and asylum areas of immigration law.
Mr. Dunn is a retired U.S. Marine Corp officer / aviator - retiring at the rank of Colonel.